The Fitzwilliam Inn has provided a warm bed and good meal to many a weary traveller in the 200+ years since the doors opened. Known as "The Goldsmith Tavern" when built in 1793, the inn was a stopping point for stage coach passengers travelling from Boston to locales throughout New England and beyond. By 1850, "The Cheshire Hotel", as it was known then, had become a respected landmark for anyone stopping at the local train depot.
Numerous changes kept the inn competitve with the times. A tennis court was added in the 1890's, with plumbing and heating in place by 1900.
The Inn was known at the Fitzwilliam Tavern in the early 20th Century. A brochure from that period describes the Tavern as follows: "There are two buildings, one open all the year, the other in the summer only. In the summer house are toilets, but no baths. It has an upper and a lower piazza. The house open throughout the year contains the office and parlor and has a piazza one hundred and seventy-five feet long and twelve feet wide, with a glass roofed porch on the southern side."
The same brochure describes the meals as follows: "The table is supplied with first-class meats, fresh vegetables, berries, milk, etc., in abundance from the hundred-acre farm belonging to the Corporation. The cooking is of excellent quality. The idea is to set a good home table rather than attempt the usual hotel menu."
The 1950's saw the tennis court replaced with the swimming pool on the north lawn.
Soon after, in the 1970's, Sunday afternoon concerts became the entertainment of choice during the winter months.
The Fitzwilliam Inn is once again open, operating as a B & B and serving meals in the their dining room and Pub. Visit their web page at www.fitzwilliaminn.com